Sunday, February 5, 2012

Sunday Beauty: Basic Mask Mix

Hello :) This Sunday Beauty post will be on making a basic (face) mask mix. It involves 3 dry ingredients, which you can mix with other fabulous ingredients to make into a paste. I've already written a post about face masks (here), but the difference with this mix, is it involves a great cleansing & detoxifying ingredient...green clay!

Recipe: Basic Mask Mix (courtesy of Feeding Your Skin)
1/2 cup fine oatmeal
1/2 cup clay to suit your skin type*
2 tablespoons almond meal

*Green clay is the most absorbent and suited to acneous, oily and neglected skin; pink is purifying and toning and suitable for all skin types; red helps treat sensitive skin and broken capillaries; white is the gentlest, soothing and suitable for all skin types; and yellow is recommended for restoring tired and neglected skin of all types.

I used an olive green clay bought from (here)


How to store?
Combine the ingredients and store in a jar in a cool, dark cupboard. I halved the recipe & used a small T2 glass jar to store the contents. These jars are great for storing skincare products (as well as tea!) This one costs $3, and there are larger sizes. 


How to use?
1. Cleanse, to prep your skin
2. Simply take 1 teaspoon or tablespoon of the basic mask mix and mix with several ingredients. You can use milks, yoghurt, eggs, mashed fruit, herbs, essential oils (1-2 drops per mask)- and make a smooth paste
3. Massage the mask on your face & leave on for 15-20 minutes
4. If the mask becomes too tight, spray or dab with water to soften

The ingredients I used to make a mask the other day were: 1 teaspoon of the basic mask mix, honey, coconut milk & mashed avocado


Ta-daa! Obviously I don't have it all on, because I didn't want to look too crazy! 


5. After 15-20 minutes, rinse the mask off with lukewarm water. 
6. I like to massage 1 drop of rosehip and jojoba oil mixed with a little water onto my face & neck afterwards, for extra glowy and hydrated skin :) 


My skin felt really soft & cleansed afterwards. It's just having a facial...at home! 

Do you like using or making face masks? 

By the way, I'm so happy I've started this segment :) It's so fun experimenting with homemade beauty  & I have so many other great recipes/products to share! 

Hannah x

No comments:

Post a Comment