Friday, March 16, 2012

My Food Philosophy

Hello :) Let me take a moment to talk about something that's been on my mind of late. In the media recently, there have been such strong opinions and views about what to eat and the idea of quitting certain foods.

Is quitting sugar the way to go? So is gluten unhealthy? Maybe I should try the paleo diet? Oh wait, what about the ethics of killing animals?

I wrote a little while back, how I'm quitting sugar. I have read Sarah Wilson's I Quit Sugar e-book and agree that we are consuming way too much of it at the moment. And yes, I feel fabulous and might even do a post on some tips and tricks to reducing sugar intake. But reducing is the key word, as I don't think I will be cutting out sugar all together. I am all for eating for health, energy and beautiful skin but there are other reasons we eat as well. Food is an enjoyment and a pleasure!

Buying local is also what I'm really about. Shopping and supporting local farmer's markets, for example. Choosing organic when you can is great too. In the past few years I've gone from being a strict vegetarian, to eating chicken and fish on occasion, and now, eating red meat every so often. I'm happy to say I'm done with labelling myself! That's silly.

I'm not quitting certain foods anymore, just eating real food with lots of nutrients! I'm learning to listen to my body. Some days I'll sip on fresh vegetable juices and coconut water, and other days I delight in a coffee. And that is perfectly fine with me :)


Hannah x

7 comments:

  1. I love this post :) I agree, we are consuming so much sugar so that's why I cut off drinking sodas and coffee. And I end up feeling much better about it anyway, my skin clears up! Nom nom on nutrients!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bambi- Absolutely, I've noticed my skin is looking better too :) It is hard with coffee, there's usually sugar in the soy milk, but I do love the occasional coffee!

      Delete
  2. I think what you've said is totally true - if we didn't eat everything the media told us not too we'd have nothing left to eat! I have been trying to cut back on processed carbs and sugar lately (with the exception of fruit which I eat every day) and I feel so much better for it.

    I love eating local produce as well, it tastes so much better and I like to support the community!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, could definitely not give up fruit! It's so nutritious & super tasty! Yay for community support!

      Delete
  3. I think you've found the right balance here, Hannah, well done! I do get quite upset with this whole "quitting sugar and blaming it for all the obesity problems" that's happening. It's very irresponsible. You're right, in many cases it's absolutely right to "reduce" sugar consumption. Namely refined, added sugar. & you're so right to listen to your body - some days a coffee is just the thing. & the emphasis on local is just brilliant, it's one of the things I love about your blog :) love this post!!
    Heidi xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much Heidi! It's difficult not to get so caught up in what the media or people say and know what to believe! Listening to your body is really key :) x

    ReplyDelete
  5. i know what you mean Hannah! I tried too when Sarah (Wilson) first blogged about quitting sugar and her book first came out last year. But it seams very extreme to cut out ALL augsr. I've reduced, and when I have too much I now notice it. As for which sugars ive reduced - it's mainly refininded and added sugars. I've aklso cut back on carbs (although love sweet potato, and pasta on the odd occasion)...

    ReplyDelete