Monday, July 30, 2012

Weekend Snaps!

Hello :) It's been a while since I've done a weekend post like this, so I thought last weekend would be nice to document. Here's a few things I got up to...

I wasn't working at Orange Grove market on Saturday, so I went to Eveleigh to stock up. Yep, I can't seem to get away from the markets- even if I'm not working at them! It was so strange having the morning to sleep in and relax, I don't think I've had a free weekend in about 2 months. I bought this tomato, feta and zucchini tart and it was delightful for morning tea, with a coffee too!
Beautiful fresh flowers.
I bought this bunch, though not exactly sure what they're called! Sometimes when I buy tulips they only last for a week or less, but love that these always seem to last for a few weeks. 
Market purchases! Really enjoying cabbage at the moment- especially the purple kind! I chop heaps of it up into salads, it's super easy. Also splurged on smoked trout and decided to try some goats milk yoghurt. It tastes a bit like Greek yoghurt although a thinner consistency, slightly sour - and perfect with granola or fruit! Have you tried goats milk yoghurt before?
A quick salad I made with cabbage, carrots, mizuna lettuce and toasted hazelnuts. I made a yummy dressing with almond butter, soy sauce, sesame oil, apple cider vinegar and lemon juice :)
On Sunday at the markets, I experimented with a new product. Introducing...TCM inspired granola! So you know I love making granola, well I recently decided to start selling it at my market stall. As I'm already selling TCM teas, I came up with the idea of making a fusion granola, combining Chinese ingredients with the core ingredients of granola I use. 

There's the base of oats combined with coconut flakes, hazelnuts, apricot kernals, black sesame, goji berries, cinnamon and orange zest. It tastes really yummy, if I do say so myself! Instead of using pure maple syrup, I used rice syrup which still has the right amount of sweetness, but is a lot cheaper. One must think of these things! I reckon the black sesame and goji berries add something different, and help make it unique. 
I decided to try selling it per cup, just to start out- in these paper bags. I had sample cups as well, so people could try it :)
In the morning, I made this sign, although it's kind of difficult to read! Must work on it! I managed to sell the two batches of granola I made within a few hours, which covered the ingredient costs and a little extra- yay! I'm very excited to make even more for next week and to see where this little invention will go! I'll make sure to keep you posted.
Feeling funky in my spotty socks. 

Hannah x

4 comments:

  1. Sounds like a lovely weekend Hannah xo

    Ps love the spotty socks ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your spotty socks and red shoes!

    I've never had goats milk yoghurt. I just stick to the regular greek one. I bet it's great with your granola though:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The last photo is simply adorable! Those polka dot socks are special.

    Have a lovely weekend!
    xx
    CrashingRED

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want your granola!! Great work, that's so cool. Not surprised it was popular ;)
    Heidi xo

    ReplyDelete