Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Fried Eggs & Sauteed Millet

Hello :) I think I'll start doing a few more shorter recipe posts. So here's what I had for breakfast this morning. I posted this photo on instagram (@hfong14) this morning as part of Heidi's #wednesdaybreakfastclub series - where each Wednesday she (and others) share what we eat for brekky. It's a pretty cool idea and there's lots inspiring dishes!

I was inspired to make this recipe from a new blog I discovered yesterday aptly named what should I eat for breakfast today? I love the layout and gorgeous photos from the blog ... I've already bookmarked a few more recipes - so check it out! Well I saw a recipe for millet cakes which I based this on- though couldn't be bothered to form the mixture into patties. So sauteed millet it is!

Fried Eggs & Sauteed Millet (serves 1)

1/4 cup millet (you could also use quinoa)
2 cups water

Rinse the millet and bring it to the boil, then pop a lid on it and let it cook through until the water is absorbed (around 20 minutes)

Once the millet is cooked, I sauteed it with the following ingredients -

garlic
chopped spinach and kale
leftover breadcrumbs
a little fennel and a pinch of fennel seeds

other yummy things you could add: chilli flakes, grated carrot, cabbage, zucchini or herbs.

Then I added the eggs to the same pan and let them cook for a while sunny side up! I have been adding fennel seeds to a lot of my cooking lately (for example a lasagne and osso bucco this week) - it's such a nice addition.


Now, I had quite a bit of time this morning so had time to cook the millet and everything. But if you don't have much time to cook brekky in the morning then I'd suggest cooking about 1 cup of millet the night before which will be enough for a few brekkies and lunches throughout the week - then in the morning you just need to fry it slightly with the eggs. Too easy! 

What have you been eating for brekky lately? 

Hannah x

3 comments:

  1. Amazing! I had rice paper rolls with kale and vermicelli and mango filling this morning. Recently it's been a lot of banana ice cream with whatever else I feel like in the morning (blending 3+ frozen bananas until ice cream consistency), then decorate!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haven't cooked millet before but now I'm intrigued. I tend to stick with the usual toast or cereal or breakfast, but a hot cooked one is always a treat!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Poached egg is good, I like Fried eggs. click it

    ReplyDelete