Ok, now onto this spinach quiche with a twist! And what is the twist? Well unlike regular spinach quiches, that have a buttery pastry base, I decided to make a brown rice base. Just like the brown rice tart with tomato and feta but with a different topping. Don't get me wrong, pastry occasionally is divine but this is a lighter & healthier option. Fun!
For the brown rice base-
1 cup brown rice
1/2 cup cheese, grated
1. Cook brown rice (1:1 ratio rice to water. Bring to a boil then turn down the heat down to a very low simmer & put the lid on... "absorption method". This should take around 15-20 minutes)
2. Mix cooked brown rice together with the grated cheese & egg
3. Spread onto a quiche or tart dish and cook in a preheated oven for 15 minutes
For the spinach quiche mixture-
I followed this recipe, although I made up the cream cheese measurements & used about 3/4 of the block in my picture below. I also added about 2 tablespoons of chopped dill and didn't use the cheddar cheese in the topping, as I already had cheese mixed into the base.
4. Take the brown rice mixture out of the oven after 15 minutes
5. Spread over topping and cook for about 25-30 minutes, until it is slightly golden or until everything has set
6. Cool for 10 minutes, then serve!
All of the ingredients (except the milk). I feel a bit like a food stylist!
And onto the finished result :) As you can see, I had to photograph the quiche at every angle!
I really, really loved this quiche! Cream cheese and parmesan are both quite rich and heavy, so having the brown rice base was wonderful. I really loved having the dill in there too! And it was a big hit with my family, which is really the most important thing :)
I just...love cooking.