Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Lunch, lately.

Hello :) I thought I'd share with you some quick lunches, I've been making lately. I'm trying to eat more  vegetables you see, it can be quite difficult, though my job has been made easier by all the colourful and new season vegetables I get to see at the 3 markets where I work now. Crazy market lady, I am indeed.

Parsnips, purple carrots & white baby carrots. They're so cute. I've been roasting all these vegetables a lot recently. The purple carrots are intense! 
Red quinoa salad with mint, basil, pine nuts, pepitas and dried cranberries with kale chips and roast vegetables. I roasted sweet potato, parsnips and baby white carrots. The carrots are my favourite and roasted whole they're super sweet, soft and wholesome. 
Slight variation from the above salad. I added hazelnuts this time too. 
Wholemeal wrap with chickpeas, mashed sweet potato with spices, sauteed spinach and haloumi. It was wrapped, toasted, cut in half and enjoyed. It was inspired by a toasted sandwich I had at a Sonoma Bakery cafe recently, which included a delicious spiced pumpkin mash. 
Raw cauliflower salad. The recipe is from the cooking class I did at Alfalfa House (& I attended another recently, more to come!), and I've been making this salad non stop. All you need:
1/2 or 1 cauliflower, shredded finely
drizzle or three of olive oil
pinch of sea salt
cayenne pepper
lemon/lime juice
lots of fresh herbs
pepitas 
I chopped the cauliflower very finely. I made this last night and took leftovers to uni today with millet, red quinoa and corn. I suggest making the salad with a whole cauliflower, and storing it in your fridge for quick salad fun times!

What have you been making for lunch, lately? Are you a roasted or raw vegetable lady (or gent) ?

Hannah x

p.s. I wrote this post about ways to boost your vegetable intake over a year ago now! You may like to read it :) Or alternatively, not.

p.p.s I just pre-ordered Sarah Wilsons I Quit Sugar Cookbook! Although, I've realised, I will never quit sugar (sometimes there is nothing nicer than a pastry or slice of cake), I'm happy to be inspired to cook more sugar free recipes. 

4 comments:

  1. I looooove my veggies! I've been all about toasted pine nuts lately, but that's not really new. I wish I were a crazy market lady...
    Heidi xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes! I've seen your amazing salads on twitter... always look super fresh and healthy! :)

      Delete
  2. I am very interested to hear a review on Sarah's Quit Sugar cook book... I, too, will never 'quit' sugar (hello, birthday cake & ice cream), but I'm certainly all for reducing the intake and I'm interested to hear what Sarah's recipes are like.

    In other news, if this is how you eat all the time, we would make fabulously compatible housemates.

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love raw cauliflower! I tend to process mine into fake "rice" with nuts like pine nuts or cashews. I don't believe sugar is poison either, but I probably should stop eating four thousand Werther's Caramels every night :P

    ReplyDelete