Friday, March 1, 2013

Silo by Joost

Hello :) It's definitely Autumn here in Sydney, with a rainy day to start the season. I did, however, get to spend the last few days of Summer in the sunshine, as I went to Melbourne on Sunday for three days...visiting Tara, a friend who moved there a little while ago. Although I was only there for a short while, we managed to fit a lot into our schedule! One place we went to was Silo by Joost, a sustainable, waste-free cafe. I heard about it from Sarah Wilson (here), so was keen to see what it was like. The cafe is located in the city, Hardware Lane, and we went eager for coffee & lunch.

Ok, coffee. I really enjoyed my latte with regular milk, however my friend who ordered a soy latte didn't enjoy her cup. The soy milk is made in house too, so she was looking forward to trying it. I had a sip, and it did taste quite odd...and grainy. But anyway, we should move onto food, because it was very, very impressive.


 I chose a cauliflower salad, with riberries, lentils, mint and a lime vinaigrette. The purple cauliflower and native riberries were quite the highlight. I'd never tried these little berries, and they were so interesting, tasting just like cloves.



Tara's lunch involved gazpacho (a fresh vegetable soup), topped with finger limes and saltbush leaves. Homemade bread was served with it too. The flavoursome soup, zesty pops of lime, and native leaves...um, what a creative & delicious combination!


And...is it just me, or is everything served in jam jars these days?



Silo by Joost. Just go! I'll be back next time I'm in Melbourne for sure.

Hannah x

1 comment:

  1. jam jars need to quit.
    though to be fair boost greenhouse was the first place i saw this phenomenon

    ReplyDelete