Sunday, April 27, 2014

The National Folk Festival

Hello :) Over the easter long weekend, my family and I went on our annual trip down to Canberra for the national folk festival ! For the third year I volunteered in waste & recycling, which doesn't sound too fun- but I enjoy it as you're able to walk around amongst the festivities still (well, except you're wheeling bins!) As always it was an awesome long weekend, with days spent volunteering, going to workshops, performances, watching buskers and sipping chai tea and evenings spent dancing and crowding around the fire in the cold !

Festival snacks


A super colourful bus / space to have chai or coffee and listen to blackboard performances ...


My sister brought her african drum along and played in a percussion group


The sweetest little caravan coffee spot


Buskers performing in the early evening 


Layering it up in cold Canberra - my fav strawberry beanie was necessary !


Love all the rainbow flags everywhere 


For one day I ended up helping my friend at his gourmet gozleme stall- & for 7 hours I rolled gozleme dough with the turkish ladies and man it was so, so tiring !! My arms were definitely feeling it the next day, seriously don't know how they do it ...


#binlyf


There are little fires everywhere, which is not only warm- but a nice place to meet people, jam together and have conversations until well into the night ! 


matchy matchy mustard 


Goat curry for dinner from a nepalese stall


Stew and damper - yum!


I didn't take many photos of the bands (I was dancing most of the time!)- but this was one of my favourites who I've seen previously ... the crooked fiddle band. The fiddle player is insanely talented !!! 


You can see my previous posts of the folk festival here & here :)

Hannah x

2 comments:

  1. I love, love, love your National Folk Festival posts. My two years in Canada is up later this year, so I fully intend to be back in Canberra for the 2015 festival. Wheee!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh yeah! interesting to visit Canberra from Nowra and go for the National Folk Festival... caravans get going...

    ReplyDelete