Sunday, March 27, 2011

Baked rice pudding

Hello :) I've been having a relaxing morning sipping chai tea, reading the paper and eating french toast (more on that to come!)....

Well last night my mother decided to make a baked rice pudding. I like it when she cooks yummy food because as well as being delicious, I have something to blog about ;) Did any of you participate in Earth Hour last night? We did our best to turn off most of the lights, but I can't say we sat around in the dark...

Even though I have the recipe here (from "The Complete Australian Cookbook") my mother used brown rice instead of white and cooked a larger quantity as well as using less sugar and milk than suggested. Oh and she also adds sultanas!

Recipe: Baked rice pudding
Ingredients-
I cup cooked long-grain rice
2 eggs, separated
500mL milk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla essence (we used vanilla bean paste)
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt

Method- 
1. Heat the milk to lukewarm in a saucepan and stir in the rice. Remove from the stove
2. Beat in the egg yolks with the sugar and salt in a bowl. Gradually add the milk mixture, beating all the time
3. Beat the egg whites until stiff and fold into the milk and rice mixture. Stir in the vanilla essence and pour into a greased ovenproof baking dish
4. Bake in the oven at 180 degrees until set, about 40 minutes


And I think this piece of music would perfectly suit a Sunday. I've been having it on repeat this morning because I like all the layering of the piece, how each element builds upon itself. Even if that's not technically correct it's just a beautiful piece! It's from the Amelie soundtrack, which I've found particularly delightful to listen to on the train :) :) Tell me what you think!
Hannah x

3 comments:

  1. Oh I LOVE baked rice pudding. I will make this next week. Thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhh Amelie, my favourite :) Thanks for this recipe, I have been wanting to make rice pudding. Love the use of brown rice.
    Heidi xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know what I'm making on the weekend if the weather is still so cold - RICE PUDDING! Also, it would be so convenient if I was your friend because I could totally borrow the Amelie soundtrack from you when I see you next - but alas, you are just too cool for me...Also, what would be cooler would be if I could play that piece on the piano - maybe I will buy an adapter on the weekend for this awesome keyboard someone lent me.

    ReplyDelete