Hello :) Every Friday I am very happy I don't have to go to Uni! It's the one day of the week I generally don't study- and very much enjoy sleeping in, catching up with friends for coffee and lazing about. And yesterday was no exception! I started the day off by sleeping in till about 9:45am then invited my friend A over for pancakes...
I know I've already shown quite a few photos of my pancake making but I couldn't resist taking a few more as they always turn out so well! The batter made enough for about 3 pancakes each. I had my first with lemon and sugar, my second with raspberry jam and berries and my third with maple syrup, caramelised bananas and cinnamon. SO yum!
100g plain flour
1/2 teaspoon of salt
3 eggs, lightly beaten
1 egg yolk
25mL oil or melted clarified butter (I used rice bran oil)
1. Sift the flour and salt into a bowl. Make a well in the centre, drop in the eggs and yolk and mix with a wooden spoon spoon or whisk, drawing in a little at a time. Combine the milk with 75mL water and gradually add until all the flour is incorporated. Beat in the oil or butter until smooth. Cover and rest at room temperature for 30 minutes.
2. ...There's a lot more instructions on how to cook the pancakes- but basically heat some oil or butter in a non-stick frypan and cook how you would usually. I just ladle however much mixture I'd like and after 'mountains' or bubbles appear you know it's ready to flip on the other side.
Later on in the day we decided to make scones! Well to be completely honest my sister made the scones and we simply watched the process ;) My sister is the scone expert, so I kindly asked her to make some...
These were light, fluffy and delicious!! As you can see my sister stuck them together so they would rise all at once and you can simply pull them apart when they're ready! The recipe made 7 large scones (you could easily make them smaller) and is so simple, that she doesn't need to use the recipe anymore. Originally I found the recipe in Frankie magazine though and have I've adapted it here:
2 cups self-raising flour
1/2 cup of cream
1/2 cup of milk
1. Sift flour into a bowl with a pinch of salt
2. Incorporate cream and flour into the bowl, combining with a knife
3. Knead mixture and roll into balls or use scone cutters
5. Bake in a moderate oven for 12-15 minutes or until lightly browned
6. Serve with jam and cream!
So, if you're after a recipe for pancakes or scones, why not give these recipes a go?! We've made both on countless occasions with lots of success :)