It's a rice pudding. Cardamon Coconut Rice Pudding. Basically I wanted to make a rice pudding with coconut milk instead of the usual cream and cows milk affair. Something different, you know. I substituted white rice for brown too, which adds more fibre and nuttiness. Cardamon and cinnamon add warmth and spice, and of course stewed rhubarb or another fruit is essential.
Recipe: Cardamon Coconut Rice Pudding with Rhubarb
1 cup brown rice
2 cups water
1 cup coconut milk or cream
1/2 cup extra coconut milk or cream (optional)
1 stick cinnamon
6 cardamon pods
several stalks of rhubarb
1 tablespoon sugar
1. Rinse brown rice and add to a pot with the water, coconut milk, cardamon, cinnamon and cloves (if using)
2. Bring to the boil, turn heat right down and cover with a lid.
3. Stir mixture every 10 minutes or so.
4. Turn heat off when the rice has absorbed most of the liquid. This may take 20-30 minutes. If you want to add more creaminess stir in another 1/2 cup of coconut milk and simmer for another 5 minutes.
5. In the meantime, cut rhubarb stalks and rinse. Place in a pot with a small amount of water and sugar. Bring to the boil and let simmer for 5 minutes.
6. Serve the rice pudding with rhubarb and an extra sprinkle of sugar or cinnamon.
I am rather in love with this simple, comforting recipe; perfect to brighten any cold or miserable day :)
It's Autumn, in a bowl.