Thursday, July 14, 2011

Orange yoghurt and polenta cake

Hello :) This morning I went to the local library I was rather excited to find a cooking DVD from Sophie Dahl (I borrowed it straight away!). Can you guess what I'll be watching later on tonight... ;)

Well it reminded me that I own her cooking book and haven't looked at it in a while. So when I got home, I flicked through the book then came across a recipe I thought would be gorgeous to have for afternoon tea. Orange yoghurt and polenta cake. How divine does that sound?! In a haste I went out and bought a few ingredients and whipped up the cake pronto!

Recipe: Orange yoghurt and polenta cake (adapted from Sophie Dahl)
Ingredients- 
100g butter, plus extra for greasing
1 cup caster/superfine sugar
3 eggs
1/2 cup spelt flour (I used wholemeal flour)
1/2 cup self-raising flour
3/4 cup polenta
1/2 cup ground almonds
1/3 cup full-fat Greek yoghurt
2 tablespoons runny honey
4 tablespoons of orange juice
Finely grated zest of 2 oranges
Method- 
Preheat the oven to 180 degrees and line the base of a 23cm/9-inch cake tin/pan with baking paper.

Cream the butter and sugar together and whisk in the eggs, one at a time. In a separate bowl, mix the flours together and then add them to the egg-and-sugar mixture. Whisk in the polenta, almonds, Greek yoghurt, honey, orange juice and orange zest. Pour into the prepared cake tin/pan and bake for about 45-60 minutes. Check after 45 minutes by inserting a skewer into the centre of the cake. If it comes out clean, the cake is done. If not, cook for a few minutes longer.

You can make a lemon-sugar drizzle with it. (I personally didn't make this).
Method- 
Put 100g/1/2 a cup of caster/superfine sugar into a bowl and stir in 3 tablespoons of lemon juice. Pour over the cake when it comes out of the oven.


And guess what? I'm kind of in love with this cake! It's just divine and deliciously dense. The polenta (which may I add I've never cooked before) gave it a beautiful texture, as well as the almond meal and the yoghurt and 3 eggs gave it that moist and richly dense taste. And the orange juice and zest, just lovely!

...

So I suggest you all get out your apron, baking mitts and mixing bowls (heck, pop on some red lipstick while you're at it) and bake this amazing cake ;) 

And because I like being thrifty with cooking, I'm going to use some more of that polenta tomorrow morning to make porridge. I shall keep you all posted :)

Hannah x

3 comments:

  1. What an odd coincidence that I recently bookmarked a recipe for an orange cake I want to make. I don't think Ill be using any red lipstick when I make it though.. Goodluck with that porridge!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heavenly ingredients- yay! :) x

    Adrian- woo! We could even make it together ;) And dw I don't expect you to wear lippy ;) x

    ReplyDelete