Saturday, December 24, 2011

Red & Green vegetable juice

Hello :) With Christmas tomorrow, I thought I'd whip up something kinda of festive. A big vegetable juice using vegetables and fruits, which are...red & green. How fun! Despite it being the festive season & a time for indulgences, I thought I'd make something fresh and full of nutrients! I know lots of you are probably baking up lots of delicious baked treats, so I suppose I feel a little sad whizzing up a vegetable juice, but yeah...

Here's the recipe! It made about 4 cups

Red & Green vegetables juice, ingredients- 
celery sticks x2
beetroot, peeled and sliced into 4 x2
red/green fuji apples x2
carrots, peeled and sliced x3
organic barley grass powder (optional)
method-
Juice all ingredients, except barley grass. Mix in 1 tablespoon of barley grass at the end, if using.

The organic barley grass is my latest purchase from the health food market stall at Bondi, the stall next to where I work. I like looking at the green section, which has lots of spirulina, chlorella, chlorophyll etc.


The carrots were a last minute addition, as they're not technically red or green. But hey! We had so many and they're just so yummy & sweet. I stirred in about 1/2-1 teaspoon of barley grass powder to each of our 4 glasses, and was proud that everyone liked the juice and couldn't taste the barley grass.

Has anyone tried barley grass powder or any other green superfoods such as spirulina, chlorella or liquid chlorophyll? If so, how do you take it? I tried adding a teaspoon of barley grass powder to a glass of water, which was pretty disgusting! I then added a teaspoon of honey which tasted better.

Well I'm off to make crepes with Adrian for lunch, using homemade strawberry jam I made him for Christmas (an early gift). There may be a post about the jam in a few days...

Have an awesome Christmas everyone!! 

Hannah x

2 comments:

  1. That is so lovely!!!!!! Yum.

    I also dislike the taste of barley grass in water so was put off it... and wheatgrass makes me feel incredibly sick!!

    This looks like a good way to incorporate it :D xoxxox

    ReplyDelete
  2. YUM! I usually choke a similar powder down in water. bleh. honey is a great idea. It makes you feel so good!
    Heidi xo

    ReplyDelete