Thursday, November 18, 2010

Mini-cupcakes

Hello :) Today I was in a baking mood! I originally intended on making a particular cake, however was missing one essential ingredient so I'll have to make it another day. Never fear though, because in the end I decided to make mini-cupcakes. They're easy to make and the small size means their perfect for a small indulgence (unless of course you have about 5...which usually ends up being the case). I'm also having a small picnic with friends tomorrow so they'll be the perfect treat to take! The recipe I used is from Donna Hay via the Sunday Magazine. I usually cut out recipes from the newspaper that interest me and keep them in a plastic folder. If you don't have mini-cupcake tins then it would still work out with regular muffin tins there just wouldn't be as many, obviously.

Honey Cupcakes
What you'll need:
- 125g butter, softened
- 1/4 cup caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup honey (I only used 1/4 cup, but you can even omit the honey altogether if preferred)
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/4 cups plain flour, sifted
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup milk

Method:
1. Preheat the oven to 160 degrees. Place the butter, sugar and vanilla in an electric mixer and beat for 10-12 minutes or until pale and creamy (...I only beat it for about two minutes. Twelve minutes seems a little excessive).
2. Add the honey and continue to beat until well combined.
3. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Fold through the flour, baking powder and milk.
4. Spoon into mini-cupcake tins lined with patty cases (I didn't have any mini patty cases so just used rice-bran oil spray).
5. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until cooked. I managed to make 24 mini-cupcakes!

Here's a few I made. I also like to 'jazz' them up by putting almonds and blueberries on top when they cook as I'm not a fan of icing.
And a quick tip. Don't walk around the house like this or people will stare...

I know, I'm hilarious.

Have you been baking lately? 

Hannah x

1 comment:

  1. Oh Hannah! I notice that in the first picture you have two almond eyes, while in the second there is one almond, one blueberry. Curious. Today i made sultana/rum/tea biscuits - the latter of the two cannot be tasted. However, they turned out more like like cakes in texture than the crispy biscuits I had been looking forward to! So i guess they were a bit of a fail. Oh well! I must say though, I do feel slightly sorry for the people who will be eating them on a picnic tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete