First of all, if you're living in Sydney... how weird is this weather!? It's the beginning of November, and these past few days have been cold, rainy and miserable!
Well anyway, at least there's something pleasing to make on a cold day which is : Soup! As well as being warm and nutritious, it's easy to make and you can basically add anything you want! I just used ingredients we already had and came up with this vegetable/lentil soup:
1. Sauteed half a red onion in some olive oil for a few minutes, until softened
2. Added to this, 2 carrots and zucchini's chopped, 3/4 cup of red lentils, half a teaspoon of tumeric and cumin for a few minutes to soften and absorb the flavours
3. Then added about 100mL of vege stock and a few cups of water (depending on how 'soupy' you want it, although remember the lentils will soak up a lot of the water)
4. I then added some freshly sliced ginger and garlic .
5. Brought this to the boil, then turn down about simmer for about 25 minutes, or until the lentils are cooked.
Here's a picture of this soup, which I made today for lunch!
And remember that quick asparagus side dish I mentioned in my last post? Well I made it with dinner tonight. May have accidently left it in the griller for too long, but you get the idea!
PS. Now that I've finished my exams, expect to see a lot more posts soon!