Monday, December 27, 2010

2011 Health Resolutions

Hello! You know the year is coming to a close when there's Christmas leftovers in the fridge, boxing day sales are on and you're still trying to work out what to do for New Years Eve. A little early but I thought it was about time I did a post on some health resolutions I hope to keep in the coming year. I don't have an aim to lose weight or anything drastic but simply smaller goals to create a happier, healthier self...

Drink more herbal teas- although we must own at least 8 or so herbal loose leaf teas I find myself reaching for black tea throughout the day (which is still good for you!) But we all know the benefits of drinking herbal teas, especially white and green tea so I want to up my intake!
Stretch at least 3-4 times per week- whether it's doing yoga, making sure I properly stretch after going for a run or just doing some light stretching at home, I want to improve my flexibility.
Learn more about Chinese Medicine- maybe it has something to do with being half Chinese myself, but I've always had a fascination with Chinese Medicine. I was actually seriously considering studying this at university but for now I hope to read and learn more as well as cooking with foods such as shiitake mushrooms, soba noodles and seaweed.
Experiment with more ingredients- since becoming more interested in health/nutrition and reading more health blogs and books I've realised there's so many more healthy ingredients I want to use and cook with! These include millet, buckwheat, spelt flour, molasses and tempeh.
Try adding apple cider vinegar/ chlorophyll to water- I usually start the day with a squeeze of lemon in warm water (this kick starts the metabolism) but after continually reading about the added benefits of using apple cider vinegar or chlorophyll mixed into water I want to try these too. Plus, apple cider vinegar can be used in a salad dressing too.
Whiz up more vegetable juices- I used to make vegetable juices quite frequently but for some reason have recently stopped. They're a great way to boost your vegetable intake and especially refreshing in summer. Bring on the beetroot, carrots, celery and ginger!
Create healthy and interesting Uni lunches- Ok, so I know this sounds a little sad. I'm not starting uni for another two months and I'm already starting to think about what I'm going to eat. But it will be a fun challenge. Making lunches/snacks that are quick, easy to prepare, inexpensive and healthy!


So there you have it. My health resolutions for 2011. And also, just because I want to continue learning/improving my health, doesn't mean my diet in the new year will only consist of carrot sticks and hummus! I also want to learn how to make pastry and pasta from scratch and continue baking new goodies. As unhealthy as it is, I don't believe there is a better tasting substitute for butter in baking.

Do you have any resolutions for the coming year? They don't have to be strictly about health.

I won't be posting until 2011 (oh my!) so I wish you all a fabulous, safe, healthy and Happy New Year!! See you soon :)

Hannah x

6 comments:

  1. Some great resolutions you've made for yourself!

    I love Liquid Chlorophyll. I really dislike mint-flavoured drinks and Liquid Chlorophyll is usually mint-flavoured. I've recently discovered that there is actually a non-mint variety! (I believe it's in a blue bottle - not green). I'm yet to try it but if you dislike mint like I do it might be a good place to start :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great list! I too want to have more veggie juices - I need a juicer first! i love them but have to buy them out unless im at my parent's place. it can get expensive!
    Great idea to take healthy uni lunches - not too early to start thinking about it hehe. quinoa salads will be great! and i want to start getting into millet too.
    *sigh* how good are herbal teas :)
    i havent really thought about my resolutions. just keeping on the same path. main things are saving for a house and perhaps trying to get to sleep earlier.
    Heidi xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. apple cider vinegar - gotta love it! I once told myself I would drink it in water every day because it helps ossible future ailments such as athritis and cancer, but alas i didn't make it pass the second day...perhaps I'll try again! Also, one must always cook with butter - the compounds and molecules in margarine have been 'stretched' and 'stretched' so much that it is completely artificial - not mention that before it is bought is grey...hmm...new years resolutions you ask? It would have to be not to make any, as I won't follow them anyway...spontaneity is what I'll do ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Frou Frou- thanks for the advice on Liquid Chlorophyll! I've decided I'll start the year by using apple cider vinegar mixed in water most days and will probably try Liquid Chlorophyll later in the year, but I'll be keeping this in mind as I would prefer the non-mint variety ;)

    Heidi- Buying vege juices out can be exxy! Making them at home is fun, however I'm not a fan of the washing up...haha. Your resolutions sound great too, especially getting to sleep earlier! It will be a challenge! And thanks for all the comments :)

    Tilly- you should try apple cider vinegar again, and seeing as it helps prevent all those ailments! And yes, butter is more natural, thanks for the tip! Spontaneity is always good to ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm currently making my health resolutions list as well - healthier uni meals & exercise is a must for me! Good luck with your list (:

    bises ! xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh where is the non-mint Chlorophyll?! I feel like I wouldnt mind the green taste, but I hate the fake mint that disguises it (despite the fact I like mint!)

    Just a tip, if you do use it, I found it easiest at first to dilute it right down. First I tried having a medicine cup with a water chaser - gross. Then I just got a HUGE cup and filled it with ice, and added about 1tsp of the green stuff, and drank with a straw. Now I use about 1 tbsp (although sometimes I cheat and add a splash of fresh juice if I can't stand it)

    My resolutions were try everything on the local Pizza place's menu... I guess I wanted to pick something I would stick to!! Lucky for me the local is pretty healthy, uses cheese for flavour rather to down, lean meats, and fresh veggies!

    I am also trying to take care of my skin and teeth - I used to be ok, but I would only be good about 80% of the time. Now its going to be brush x 2-3 and floss EVERY DAY no exceptions ever, plus cleanse/moisturise, and trying dry body brushing, homemade scrubs and lymphatic massages.

    ReplyDelete