Sunday, January 15, 2012

Sunday Beauty: Energising Body Scrub

Hello :) Welcome to a new series on my blog, I'm super excited about! I'm going to be writing about beauty related posts on a Sunday. You can expect posts mainly on skincare (as I pretty much don't wear makeup), whether it be on simple skincare recipes I've made myself, product reviews or anything I can think of!

This first recipe, is a basic sugar scrub I made this afternoon after I'd done a lyrical dance class (at Sydney Dance Company) & came home exhausted. I wanted to make a scrub that would be moisturising as well as energising and uplifting. It's raining at the moment too, so it's always nice to take some time out to pamper yourself. And Sundays after all, are a perfect time.

Recipe: Energising Body Scrub
Ingredients- 
1/4 cup raw caster sugar
Glug of olive oil (don't use a fancy olive oil, any one will do)
1 teapsoon freshly grated ginger or 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1 peppermint teabag or a few drops of peppermint essential oil
Method- 
1. Mix ingredients together. As you can see in the picture below, I didn't use too much olive oil. Just enough to coat the sugar really. Other oils would work too, such as macadamia or grapeseed oil which are full of good fats. 
2. On dry skin, gently massage the scrub in circular motions. Make sure to avoid your face though, as the skin on your face is too delicate for the sugar granules. I also tend to avoid my chest and neck. 
3. Rinse off in the shower. I find using a loafer works well. 
4. Moisturise afterwards for silky smooth skin! 

Well this scrub is certainly energising & I feel quite refreshed! I always find peppermint or mint tea to be uplifting so it made sense to add it to the mixture. Feel free to play around with the recipe. You might want to use sea salt instead of sugar, or hemp seed oil instead of olive oil. 

I hope you enjoyed the first post in my Sunday Beauty series :) 

Do you like using a body scrub? If so, what's your favourite...whether it's a product or one you might whip up yourself! 

Hannah x

6 comments:

  1. I can't go pass lemon and salt. Discovered it back during my short-lived fake tanning days when I used this scrub to get rid of the bad patching.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yay!

    that looks so easy. is it messy to clean up? i like things which totally go down the drain. is that bad? i definitely could use a scrub in my life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow, I can alredy imagine how hydrating this would feel! Thanks for the lovely post :) I use a body exfoliating gel from the Body Shop, it's strawberry and the beads imitate strawberry seeds, it's so cute :D!

    ReplyDelete
  4. love this post! so fascinating, I know so little about this topic. So looking forward to more posts.
    Heidi xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lyf- lemon & salt = must try! Must smell yummy too :)

    holly- it's not messy at all, I usually just rinse the container in the shower :)

    gee- yummm I've seen that exfoliating gel & it smells incredible! Might have to add some strawberries next time :)

    Heidi- yay thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I use castor sugar and pure virgin coconut oil (health shop), just keep a bowl and spoon in bathroom and mix up what I need to a thick paste, probably more sugar than oil as oil goes along way. If I am just doing my face its 3 times a week after cleansing and always do it in the shower, no mess and is an absolute wrinkle remover. Try it and tell me what you think.
    Maire

    ReplyDelete