Friday, September 30, 2011

Roast tomato soup

Hello :) During my week off from uni, I've very much been enjoying walking up to my local deli/grocer and buying ingredients I want for lunch. It's something I don't get a chance to do during the week, and I love buying ingredients I know I will use that day. Often I find, we'll buy several zucchini's, carrots etc and not have a recipe or idea what to do with them, so they may go to waste which is a shame. I also like  shopping at/supporting small businesses. Walking to the deli to buy bread, having a coffee and reading a novel. Which is what I did this morning, and it was lovely :)

I also went to a fruit and vege shop to buy tomatoes and a spanish onion for my lunch. I had planned to make a roast tomato soup, a recipe from a good living issue a few months ago. Oh and I used roma tomatoes which are larger than cherry tomatoes so I cut them in quarters and left the skin on for more texture and because I was too lazy...

Recipe: Roast tomato soup (adapted from Good Living)
Ingredients-
800g ripe cherry tomatoes, in assorted colours
5 tbsp olive oil
Salt
4 cloves garlic
1 Spanish onion, chopped
3 tbsp balsamic vinegar
1/2 bunch basil, leaves torn
Creme fraiche, to serve, optional
Method-
Preheat oven to 220 degrees celcius. Pick green tops off tomatoes and put in a roasting pan with 2-3 tablespoons olive oil, sprinkling of salt and garlic cloves, unpeeled. Toss everything together and cook on the top shelf of the oven for 15 minutes. Meanwhile, cook onion in a large saucepan over a low heat with the remaining olive oil for 10 minutes, until soft and translucent.
Add balsamic vinegar to the onions, stir and reduce for 5 minutes. Remove tomatoes from oven and carefully skin the garlic, using two forks to extract the flesh. Add tomatoes and garlic to onions. Pour mixture into a food processor. Add basil and whiz, leaving the soup quite chunky. Pour soup into bowls and drizzle with olive oil and creme fraiche, if desired. Serves 4. 

From this...
To this! The best word I can use to describe this soup is wholesome. I just loved it! I've never actually had tomato soup before, and this was delicious and nourishing. So simple and healthy too :) All that lycopene! The rye bread was dense and yum too. 

In other news, I am rather smitten with my short hair! I was getting so sick of having long hair, and man, short hair is so much easier to maintain! Plus it'll be great for hot summer weather. Are you thinking of cutting your hair short? Do it I say! Here's a photo of what my hair looks like. What else was I supposed to do when my soup was cooking?


Well at the moment it is sunny with blue skies. Even though it's a little windy, this weather is making me happy! I think some reading in the sun, with a few cups of tea is in order...

Hannah x

7 comments:

  1. hi, i was just wondering if a spanish onion is the same as what i'd call a red onion? I've thought about it a few times, as i've never heard of spanish onions before (I'm from Denmark..). thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks delish. I find your blog so inspiring! X

    ReplyDelete
  3. How Very- oh yes it's the same :) I was actually thinking of writing red onion instead, it can be confusing! x

    Sonya- thanks lovely :) x

    ReplyDelete
  4. The soup looks lovely! And that bread: YUM!
    Where is it from?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anon- thanks, the bread was from my local deli but it's from Sonoma breads which have a few cafes in Sydney (which are very awesome- you should check them out!) :) x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your hair looks amazing!! Love it. You totally pull it off - it helps that you're naturally stunning ;) This soup also looks great! Love the idea of roasted tomato soup.
    Heidi xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Heidi- Aw thanks- you're too kind :) x

    ReplyDelete