Sunday, January 16, 2011

Roast beetroot dip (with sumac crisps)

Hello :) The other day I came across a recipe for 'roast beetroot dip with sumac crisps' (from which I'd torn out of an old "Body and Soul" liftout) and thought I'd give it a whiz today, as I happened to have all the ingredients. Here's the recipe:

Recipe: roast beetroot dip with sumac crisps
Ingredients:
1 whole garlic bulb
olive oil spray
1 bunch beetroot, ends trimmed, washed
2 pieces of Lebanese bread
1 tbs sumac
130g (1/2 cup) natural yoghurt (I used Greek yoghurt)
Directions:
Preheat oven to 200 degrees. Trim the top from the garlic bulb, spray with olive oil spray and wrap in foil. Wrap each beetroot bulb individually in foil. Place the garlic and beetroot on a baking tray. Roast for 45-55 minutes or until the beetroot is tender when pierced with a skewer. Set beetroot and garlic aside for 10 minutes to cool.
Meanwhile, split the Lebanese bread horizontally to make 4 pieces. Place on baking trays. Spray with olive oil spray and sprinkle with sumac. Bake for 4-5 minutes or until crisp. Set aside to cool.
Unwrap the beetroot. Wearing rubber gloves, peel the beetroot and coarsely chop. Transfer the beetroot to a bowl of a food processor. Unwrap the garlic bulb. Squeeze the garlic from the skins. Add the beetroot and process until almost smooth.
Transfer the beetroot mixture to a small bowl. Stir in the yoghurt. Season with salt and pepper. Break the bread into pieces and serve with the dip.

This dip was absolutely delicious! It had a lovely, smooth texture and the roasted garlic gave it a certain sweetness. Great way to boost your vegetable intake too. And look how vibrant the colour is! 

Also, remember those Buckwheat pancakes I made a little while ago? Well for dinner I decided to make them again, using a different recipe (yes, I had pancakes for dinner). This recipe used coconut milk instead of water and I also sliced bananas into the mixture too. I think these pancakes tasted much nicer! Topped with passionfruit yoghurt, sunflower seeds and frozen raspberries. 


And the other day I bought myself a recipe journal:

It's for recipes I use all the time/cut out from magazines/from books I need to return (such as my friends "Lunch in Paris" book)

Hope you've had a great weekend :) Australian Open starts tomorrow! Anyone else excited?! 

Hannah x

1 comment:

  1. I am so guilty of having Pancakes for dinner... but not even the healthy buckwheat kind! haha

    This beetroot dip looks delish!

    ReplyDelete