Monday, January 17, 2011

Ways to boost your fruit intake

Hello :) Happy Monday! So, whilst I was browsing through health blogs (as I do for 'fun') I came across this article on "how to make healthy eating incredibly simple this year". The main point of the article which resonated with me and seemed completely true was "put your efforts into eating at least five portions of fruit and vegetables every day. The rest will take care of itself". I won't re-write the entire post as you can see for yourself but it got me thinking of some easy ways to include more fruits  into your eating plan:

WAYS TO BOOST YOUR FRUIT INTAKE
1. Try to incorporate fruit into your breakfast each day. Top cereal/muesli/porridge with sliced banana, peaches, nectarines, mango, strawberries or frozen berries (basically whatever is in season). And if you're having something a little more indulgent such as pancakes, try making a fruit platter to accompany.
2. Make fruit smoothies as a filling breakfast, afternoon snack or whenever! Lately I've been making smoothies when I come back from running and feel like something refreshing and filling. Mine usually have oat milk, frozen berries (so much cheaper than fresh berries!), peach, bananas and a teaspoon of apple cider vinegar.
3. Eat fruit for dessert. Craving something sweet and sugary after dinner? Why not make these cinnamon roast peaches, grill bananas with maple syrup and cinnamon, or create a simple fruit salad/platter. According to Chinese medicine the best time to eat fruit is in the evening. 
4. Bake with fruit. Make baking that little bit healthier by trying things like banana bread or berry muffins 
5. Grow your own. There's nothing more satisfying than picking your own strawberries or other fruits! They're super sweet and (in my opinion) way more delicious than store bought fruit.

Hope that was helpful :) It's easier that you think, right? Do you have any other tips of ways to boost your fruit intake? Would love to hear some!

My next post will be on ways to boost your vegetable intake! 

Hannah x

2 comments:

  1. Yumm some of these options look so delicious! I tend to favour eating fruit on an empty stomach as my body is able to digest it better that way.

    I'd love to hear your tips on boosting vegetable intake! That's one area I need to focus on as it's SO easy to just eat carbohydrates when you're hungry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. All these dishes look sooooooooooooooo delicious! I'm drooling just looking at the pictures!

    I've nominated you for a Stylish Blogger Award :) Details at http://princessfrivolous.blogspot.com xoxo

    ReplyDelete