1. I lightly grilled a bun for a few minutes. I simply used a wholemeal one from Bakers Delight.
2. Whizzed up some delicious pesto (basil, 1 garlic clove, handful of parmesan, toasted pine nuts, extra virgin olive oil) and spread it generously on both sides.
3. Topped one half with a (huge!) portobello mushroom which I had drizzled with olive oil an baked in the oven for 10 or so minutes.
4. Added some sliced tomato & cucumber. I left the skin on for extra crunch!
5. Final step was to garnish with a few fresh basil leaves.
The result was one flippin' tasty burger! The mushroom can become a little bit messy, so I cut mine in half to make it easier to eat. I must use portobello mushrooms more often, yummo.
Want another recipe using portobello/field mushrooms? Try these delicious baked mushrooms! I think I'll be making them very soon...